I like to consider this blog as a virtual extension of my home. As commenters, you are invited into my virtual home. Just as anyone would have expectations of their guests, there are some expectations for guests in this virtual home.
1. Please don’t insult other commenters. Everyone should feel welcome. If another is acting badly, it’s my responsibility to deal with them. I wouldn’t insult another guest in your home and I hope you feel the same. As I also wouldn’t insult you in your home, I appreciate it if you kindly refrain from insulting me here as well.
2. Please don’t insult my friends. I wouldn’t insult your friends in your home, either.
3. Please refrain from modern politics, unless it is germane to the post upon which you’re commenting. Value-laden comments about specific modern politicians or political parties/groups should remain unwritten. Comments about religion and politics are sure ways to offend others and start arguments. Such would distract from the historical discussion.
4. Please do not use profanity. I would like this site to remain family friendly.
5. Disagreement is fine and encouraged. I do request more than just a counterclaim, though. Sources are appreciated.
6. Please advance the conversation. The two of us repeating ourselves ad nauseam is not a discussion. Each post should add to the conversation. So I would expect new information, new sources for support, or a new interpretation. Likewise, I don’t want to repeat myself. If I’ve already addressed something I don’t want to have to address it again unless from a new aspect or considering new evidence.
7. Trolls are not welcome and will be banned without hesitation once it becomes obvious to me they are trolls.
8. I don’t engage in blog wars. If anyone would like to know my views on a specific issue, they can ask me about it here. I’m not going to answer anyone else’s blog posts directed to me.
9. Evidence trumps opinion. If you want to convince me, provide credible evidence.
10. I reserve the right to edit comments. I won’t allow profanity or insults. My goal is to ensure that people visiting this site are not subjected to crude language or a flame war among commenters. I hope you won’t feel insulted by this, because no insult to you is intended by this, but editing your comment allows us to have the conversation without the objectionable material.