Here’s an excellent conversation between host Dr. Keith Harris and his guest, Eric Wittenberg about Eric’s book about the creation of West Virginia.
They discuss these topics:
- The long standing tensions between the eastern and western counties of Virginia
- The reaction of people in the western counties when Virginia votes to secede
- The 1st and 2nd Wheeling Conventions
- The “legitimate” government of Virginia
- Pushing for statehood
- Determining the borders
- The B&O Railroad
- Constitutional issues (and how this got a little tricky…)
- The postwar and the Supreme Court
- Lingering tensions
- In methodologies of historians and lawyers…how they intersect
- A preview of Eric’s new book: Tullahoma: The Forgotten Campaign that Changed the Course of the War
You can access the podcast here.